Monday, June 23, 2014

Time Well Spent


This week my post marks the end of my journey.  The past 20 months have been challenging but the time has been well spent.  I started on this journey afraid of the challenge of earning a Master’s degree-just hearing the term caused me to feel unsure about my abilities to complete the coursework.  However, each week I went farther on my journey and I could not have made it through without the encouragement of my colleagues and instructors.  It has been your support that has encouraged me to keep going and complete this educational journey. 



The course work for the Master of Science degree in Early Childhood Studies have helped me to understand more about a child’s culture and how we as educators should take more time and effort in learning about diversity.  Every child comes to us eager to learn but if we have not dealt with our biases-we can do more harm to the child then good. 





 The course work has also helped me to realize that I can be an advocate for early childhood concerns.  Children and families depend on us as educators to speak for them in the areas in which they need assistance.  Just by showing support and guiding them with resources can make a difference in how they receive resources and the help that will make their struggles easier.  My Capstone challenge was involving developmentally appropriate practices in Infant & Toddler classrooms.  All of the coursework completed at Walden University prepared me to complete a plan to conquer the challenge.




 The course work has also taught me that child care administrators have various jobs that equally require their attention.  My degree specialty is Administration, Leadership and Management.  The specialty courses taught me a lot about the business side of center-based childcare.  The job of an administrator is very challenging but it also rewarding and achievable now that I have received exceptional training in the field. I feel better prepared to accomplish my goal of managing an educational program that serves children during the early childhood years.  My program will focus on providing continuity of care to children during the first 3 years of life with a goal of continually offering quality education until they finish grade 3. The course work provided at Walden has prepared me to enter the field of Early Childhood Education prepared to be an effective administrator.  I recently had an interview and the questions asked to me were answered with well-prepared answers because I was able to reflect back on my studies and answer them with intelligent answers. 


I would like to thank all of my colleagues for their support and excellent discussion and blog posts you have made throughout this time period.  Many times I depended on your contributions to help me to understand the coursework and you have never let me down.  I feel bittersweet because I know this might be the last time I communicate with you but I am also proud of what we have accomplished together.  To Chere’e and Berdetta; you have been in the most of my classes and it has been a definite pleasure to realize that we have made it to the end together.  I remember seeing your names in my first course at Walden and it is so special to know that we are completing our journey together.  I wish all of my colleagues the best of luck and I pray that all of your dreams and goals become realities.



To Dr. Darragh-it has been a pleasure having you as an instructor.  You are very insightful and an excellent source of encouragement.  I wish you all the best in your future classes and all that you inspire to do.

I pray that everyone advances further in their education and realizes all the goals you have set for your professional careers.

Janine Campbell
janineecampbell@gmail.com
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/janinetinsoncampbell






5 comments:

  1. Janine! I was teary by the end of your post. Thank you for the kind words you spoke. Thank you for your honesty and your determination to make sure our children have quality education and our professionals have quality leadership. It will be wonderful if all of us at some point in our professional careers would cross paths with one another. I am convinced that with all the hard working people in our courses, a change will take place. Many blessings to you!
    Lemora

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janine,

    I was very intimidated in many of my classes. I was shocked how I excelled in my understanding of why children behave in different manners. Walden and life experiences has truly humbled me. It was interesting how my job was consistent to each topic in all my course work. I truly had on the job training. I guess that's when you know that you are living toward your purpose. I am glad I meet you. You have truly been inspiring. I wish you much success in all your career goals. My email is chereecraig@gmail,com.

    Chere'e Craig

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Janine,

    I remember feeling the same way when I began this program, it had been a while since I had been a student but we made it! Congratulations to you and for all the hard work that you've done to reach this point. It has been an incredible journey and I am grateful that I had the opportunity to learn from you and our colleagues. I wish you all the best in everything that you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Janine!!!

    I loved your post because it reminded me so much of my journey. I feel great having you as my classmate and I thank you for your hard work and words of encouragement throughout. I hope to see you at graduation and I wish you all the best in everything you do!
    Sincerely,
    Berdetta

    ReplyDelete
  5. We made it. Who would have thought that this journey would be coming to an end, it doesn't seem like we should be here. I would like to say thank you for all your words and sharing your experiences with us. I have learned a lot from our interactions. I hope you have a successful career and that you continue to work towards your goals. May our paths cross again.

    Ashley Daniels

    ReplyDelete